Protests against fuel tax are ongoing in Réunion, with travel restrictions and disruption on certain routes due to road blocks. We recommend avoiding areas where protests are taking place and following the advice of local authorities. Keep informed of what is going on around you by monitoring local media and staying in contact with your hotel or tour organiser.
Because there is no Irish Embassy or Consulate in the Reunion, we’re limited in the help we can offer you in an emergency. However, if you need assistance, please contact our Consular Assistance Unit at the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Dublin on +353 1 408 2000. You can contact the emergency services in Réunion by dialling 112.
EU Directive on Consular Protection
Under the EU Consular Protection Directive, Irish nationals may seek assistance from the Embassy or Consulate of any other EU member state in a country where there is no Irish Embassy or permanent representation.
Our tips for safe travels
- Purchase comprehensive travel insurance which covers all your intended activities
- Add an alert for your destination within the Travelwise App.
- Register your details with us so that we can contact you quickly in an emergency, such as a natural disaster or a family emergency
- Follow us on twitter @dfatravelwise for the latest travel updates
- Read our Topical ‘Know Before You Go’ guide
Fri, 30 Nov 2018 12:37:05 GMT