Contact the Passport Service
- Resubmission links
- Customer Service Hub
- Passport Queries
- Foreign Birth Registration Queries
The Passport Service may ask you to resubmit a photo, consent form, witness form or other additional supporting documents to help us process your application. The Passport Service will communicate this request through an email, which will contain a link to help you submit what is required. If the link sent to you has expired, you can request a new link here. You will receive an email with a new link within 2-5 working days of your request.
The Customer Service Hub helps thousands of customers every week who are applying for their Passport or for Foreign Birth Registration. Agents are available through our phone and webchat services from Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm. The Customer Service Hub can be contacted at +353 1 671 1633 (Passports) or +353 1 568 3331 (Foreign Birth Registration) or you can chat with a Hub agent via the WebChat service.
Please note that calls may be recorded for training and quality control purposes.
The online tracker is the fastest way to check on the progress of your application. Please use the tracker if you are looking for an update on the progress of your application.
Please note that a Customer Service Hub agent won't have any additional information available if your application is progressing in line with our current turnaround times.
If we ask for further documents, the estimated issue by date will change based on when these are submitted to the Passport Service. Find out more about our documentary requirements here.
A Customer Service Hub Agent can confirm if supporting documents have been received but they cannot tell you if they are correct. All documents must be verified and checked by specially trained staff.
A Customer Service Hub agent can:
- Provide updates on the status of the passport application. This is also available here without talking to a Customer Service Hub Agent
- Offer advice and assistance if you are experiencing a medical emergency or death of a family member abroad.
- Confirm if supporting documents have been received and provide advice and guidance if we have already requested additional supporting documentation to allow us to process your application.
A Customer Service Hub agent cannot:
- Fast track a passport application before the estimated issue by date. You can find out your estimated issue by date here
- Fast track a passport application even where proof of travel is provided. This is even when the rest of the travelling party have valid passports.
- Arrange for you to collect a passport.
- Arrange the return of original supporting documents (including travel documents) except for medical emergency or death of a family member abroad. These will be dispatched within 4 weeks of the passport being dispatched.
- Provide you with information on tracking your passport once it is in the post. All passports are dispatched through An Post. You can track the delivery in Ireland using the An Post tracker number. Your An Post tracking number can be found here once the passport has been dispatched
Our Customer Service Hub has dedicated agents to deal with your Foreign Birth Registration application query. The contact number for Foreign Birth Registration queries is +353 1 568 3331.
If an expectant parent is not on the Foreign Births Register when their child is born, the child will not be entitled to Irish citizenship.
Applications are processed strictly in order of the date that their supporting documents were received by the Passport Service in Ireland.
Due to the complex nature of the Foreign Birth Registration process you should allow approximately 9 months for processing of Foreign Birth Registration applications at this time.
Applicants can make an urgent request where they are an expectant parent and where the child would not be entitled to Irish citizenship if the parent is not entered on the register.
Supporting documentation must be submitted in support of this. Applications should be made in good time as the Department cannot give any assurances that an entry will occur in time. Urgent requests can also be made where a person may be stateless. This will normally occur where a child is born to an Irish citizen overseas and is not entitled to citizenship locally.
Our phone lines are open from 9am – 4.30pm, Monday to Friday. The Customer Service Hub can be contacted at +353 1 671 1633 for Passport queries, and +353 1 568 3331 for Foreign Birth Registration queries. Please note that calls may be recorded for training and quality control purposes.
Our WebChat is open from 9am - 4.30pm, Monday to Friday. The WebChat is operated by Customer Service Hub agents. During our business hours, please refresh this page if the webchat icon is grey. When it is green, you can connect to a WebChat agent.
Please note that chats may be recorded for training and quality control purposes.
Please note that while all WebChat operators are staff of the Department of Foreign Affairs, this software solution is powered by a third party.
Track your Passport
You can track the progress of your Passport/Passport Card application using your 11-digit application number.