Do Not Travel.
Latest travel alert
We advise against all travel to Iraq because of the extremely dangerous security situation and very high threat of terrorist attacks. If you’re currently in Iraq, we advise you to leave immediately.
If you consider your presence in Iraq to be absolutely essential, you should have adequate and continuous professional security arrangements and ensure they are regularly reviewed.
Ireland doesn’t have an Embassy or Consulate in Iraq so we can’t verify detailed travel advice to ensure that it’s accurate, appropriate and up to date. However, we encourage you to conduct your own research and to read these links to travel advice from other foreign ministries:
Because there is no Irish Embassy or Consulate in Iraq, we are very limited in the help we can offer you in an emergency. The best help is often close at hand so if you have problems, try talking to your local contacts, local tour guide or hotel management.
EU Directive on Consular Protection
Under the EU Consular Protection Directive, Irish nationals may seek assistance from the Embassy or Consulate of any other EU member state in a country where there is no Irish Embassy or permanent representation.
Our tips for safe travels
- Purchase comprehensive travel insurance which covers all your intended activities
- Add an alert for your destination within the Travelwise App.
- Register your details with us so that we can contact you quickly in an emergency, such as a natural disaster or a family emergency
- Follow us on twitter @dfatravelwise for the latest travel updates
- Read our Topical ‘Know Before You Go’ guide
Wed, 13 Jun 2018 13:57:34 BST